Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Appropriate Change

Some of you may be wondering why I became so interested in NB. For the first 24 years of my life, I was pretty content to accept the state of our province. I hadn't known anything different, and was unaware of the relative situation of NB compared to the rest of Canada. But something changed. While I was in Zambia, I remember wishing that I was Zambian. A Zambian with the same access to education and opportunities I had as a Canadain, but with the ability to understand and gain trust at a deeper level. And now I'm in NB. And I'm from NB. I've spent most of my life in this province. I am in tune with the underlying cultural norms and unconsciously I understand considerations that go into forming decisions. I am truly affected by my actions in this province. My family is affected by my actions (to some degree). I am finally fully accountable for my choices and feel the burden of being a foreigner lifted. Now, I can truly attempt to participate in appropriate development to see NB reach its full potential.
That's why I care about NB.

No comments: