Saturday, December 6, 2008

Listening to myself

I'm starting to realize that there's a lot of noise here in Canada. And I don't mean loud, intrusive noise. I mean the kind of noise that is constantly buzzing in your mind, disrupting your focus. The noise that subtly drowns your own personal thoughts and feelings, that sweeps you up in the current of what's happening around you. When I came back from Zambia in June, I felt as though I had attained a level of quiet conviction. Spending three years with people who define success a bit differently, where the distractions of constant access to virtual reality are limited, gave me the opportunity to listen to my own voice.Because of all the walking I did, all the social interactions I had, all the instances where I had to question my reactions, I came to know myself quite well. And with knowing yourself comes a certain amount of peace and self-assurance. The true test though (as I've recently discovered) is to maintain this peace within the noise. Does anyone have ways they're able to continue listening to themselves without being swept away by society's current?

1 comment:

lisa said...

When I wake up in the morning, as soon as i put my feet on the floor, I say "thank you". ("I love you, please forgive me, I'm sorry, thank you".) These four sentences have helped to clear the noise for me as well as staying focused in continuing to "listen to myself".
Knowing in your heart and in your gut, what is right for you, should be first and foremost. There is an explanation if anyone would like to hear it, as i can explain it more clearly why these four sentences have helped me even if you feel it sounds absurd, it really works and is quite helpful.